The Dwarven Vows are a collection of proverbs and maxims that all dwarves strive to fulfill throughout their entire lifetimes. These vows are passed on through the generations to instill the values and morals of the dwarven people in their children.
In Tales of Symphonia, Dirk raised Lloyd Irving with constant exposure to these vows, repeating them frequently to Lloyd during his childhood to ensure that he will not lose his way in the future. In a skit, it is revealed that to teach Lloyd the Dwarven Vows, Dirk would withhold his supper if he got them wrong.
The known Dwarven Vows are as follows:
1. Let's all work together for a peaceful world.
2. Never abandon someone in need.
4. Don't depend on others. Walk on your own two legs.
5. The more you add, the worse it gets.
7. Justice and love will always win. (Battle) // Goodness and love will always win. (Story)
9. Fall down seven times, stand up eight.
10. Play hard, play often.
11. Lying is the first step down the path of thievery.
14. Even a small star shines in the darkness.
16. You can do anything if you try.
18. It's better to be deceived than to deceive.
24. Never let your feet run faster than your shoes.
32. Cross even a stone bridge after you've tested it.
41. It's better to begin in the evening than not at all. (ToS) // Haste makes waste. (TotW:RM)
43. Never forget the basics.
55. A bad workman blames his tools.
108. Let sleeping dogs lie.
134. Compassion benefits all men.